Homebreadcrumb separatorElections


The electoral register

You can only vote at elections if you are on the electoral register for the area you wish to vote in. The electoral register is a list, put together and held by the council’s Electoral Registration Office, of everyone who has formally registered to vote. You must be on the register to vote at elections. You are not automatically registered, even if you pay Council Tax.

Useful Links

View the elections and voting useful links document

Entitlement to register

You are entitled to register as a parliamentary and local government elector if on the relevant date you satisfy the following conditions:

You are a resident in the particular electoral area, or part of it; and

You are not subject to a legal incapacity to vote, apart from age; and

You are a qualifying British citizen, Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland (or the EU in the case of the European Parliamentary and local government elections, provided also that for EU citizens they are not legally disbarred from voting in their home country); and

You are a person of voting age (18 years and over) or approaching voting age (over 16 years of age)

View a list of Commonwealth countries and British Dependent Territories

A list of EU countries appears on the voting rights of European nationals page

British nationals overseas

They are entitled to register for parliamentary election but not local government elections. British nationals living abroad can be registered for up to 15 years after leaving the UK.To receive an application form, please contact the office or your local Embassy or Consulate.


People living away from home due to attendance on a course can register at their home address. A person may also register at a temporary address if they are resident for more than six months. In practice, students may be registered at two addresses but can only vote at one.

16-18 year olds

From 16 years of age, you can apply to be on the electoral register, provided you also meet the rest of the conditions as shown above, although you cannot vote unless you are 18 years of age on or before polling day.

European Union citizens

Citizens of EU countries other than Britain, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus or Malta (who are already eligible to vote at all elections) please view voting rights for European Citizens

Service voters, Crown Servants, British council employees, and their spouses

Special registration arrangements apply to certain categories of people. Contact the Electoral Registration Office and let the staff know your circumstances and we will send you an appropriate registration form.

Homeless people

Homeless people who were unable to register because they had no fixed address, can now make a declaration of local connection - giving an address of, or nearest to, a place where the person spends a substantial amount of their time, for example a local day centre.

Patients in mental hospitals

Other than those who are held there because of criminal behaviour, patients in mental hospitals can now register to vote without the need to pass the additional test of making a patient's declaration.

Unconvicted or remand prisoners

They can now register in the establishment where they are held, if they are likely to be spending a long period remanded in custody. Convicted prisoners are still unable to vote.

How to Register

You are now able to apply to register online, but you will be required to provide additional details to previously - your date of birth and National Insurance Number.

You can apply at www.gov.uk/registertovote. You can also ring the Electoral Registration Office on 01922652502 and apply over the telephone. You should have all the required information available when you make your application.

Once an application has been made, your details are then checked against details held by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). If the details do not match, then we will write to you to request further documentary evidence to confirm your identity. You should respond to any such request immediately, as your application will not be processed fully until this information is received.

A new register is then published on 1 December each year and this list remains in force until the end of November the following year. However, this list is then updated at the beginning of each month because people can  register at any time. The deadline to be included on the monthly update list is usually around 3 weeks before the date of the update. There are exceptions to this schedule - including during the annual canvass in October to December, and in the run up to an election.

Two versions of the register

There are two versions of the electoral register - the full version and the open version. Your details will appear on the full version of the register, but you can choose whether or not your details appear on the open register.

The full register is used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for credit. The open register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing.

Although you now have the option of withholding your name from the open register, you may find that your name is still included on mail marketing lists and you continue to receive unsolicited mail.

If you don't want to receive advertising mailings you should write to

The Mailing Preference Service

To check if your name is on the current register you can contact the staff at council’s Electoral Services Office below who will be able to check the current register or you can inspect the register yourself at the address below.

Publication of Verification Number

The Local Government Act 2000 provides that electors in the council's area can petition the council to hold a referendum on proposals for the local authority to change to a different form of governance. See notice here.

Contact us

The Electoral Services Office
Ground floor, Council House
Lichfield Street

Telephone 01922 652502/652503/652504/653480/653735

Email electionoffice@walsall.gov.uk