Homebreadcrumb separatorElectionsbreadcrumb separatorVoting rights of European nationals

Voting rights of European nationals

General information  

If you are a citizen of one of the European Union (EU) countries listed below, you can register (for the area in which you live) to vote in the UK at a European parliamentary election, which is held every five years. You can also register to vote for your local council election. Citizens of EU countries other than the UK, Cyprus, Malta and the Republic of Ireland cannot vote in the UK parliamentary elections.

To be eligible to register

You must be a national of one of the member states of the European Union and you must also be 18 years of age, or more, or become 18 by election day.

European Union countries

(Excluding the UK, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus, as their citizens are eligible to vote at all elections and do not need to use this form.)

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden

How to register for local council elections

To register to vote at local council elections go online to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

How to register for European Parliamentary elections

As a European Union citizen, you are entitled to register to vote in the United Kingdom (UK) instead of your home country for a European Parliamentary. However, in order to do this, you will need to complete and return a UC1 application form (PDF 36KB)

What about my voting rights at home?

You cannot vote at the European Parliamentary Elections in more than one country. If you fill in the UC1 form, you are agreeing to vote in the UK and not in your home country.

The application form will ask you to declare that, if you vote, it will be in the UK only. You will also be asked to give the name of any locality or constituency in your home member state in which you were/are registered to vote. A copy of your application form will be sent to the UK Secretary of State, who will send it on to your home member state, which may then take steps to prevent you voting there at the same election.

If you wish to vote in your home member state instead of in the UK, for the next European Parliamentary election then do not complete the UC1 form. You need do nothing beyond what your home member state requires.

If you make a false statement in the declaration in your UC1 application form you will be committing an offence, and could be liable to a fine. If you vote both in the UK and in your home member state, in the same election, you will also be committing an offence, and could be liable to a fine.

Contact us

The Electoral Services Office
Ground floor, Council House
Lichfield Street

Telephone 01922 652502 

Email electionoffice@walsall.gov.uk